As you know very well the chocolate milk is very tasty and delicious milk which is a mixture of natural sugar and milk with cocoa. Today we will discuss some health benefits and downsides of its consumption and we will also tell you is chocolate milk good for you ? Proper pieces of information will help you to know deeply about it. You can see another post on a relatable topic where we have covered the world’s best chocolate milk brands.
Nutrients in Chocolate Milk
There are several nutrients present in Chocolate milk. It is richer in calories and carbs than unsweetened milk. We will discuss nutrients in 1 cup of chocolate milk:
- It contains about 180 to 211 calories.
- It contains 8 grams of protein.
- About 26 to 32 grams of carbs present in it.
- It contains about 2 to 9 grams of fat.
- Calcium is present in 28% of RDI ( Reference Daily Intake).
- It includes 10 to 17 grams of Sugar.
- It contains 25 percent of reference daily intake of Vitamin D and Phosphorus.
- Also present 24 % and 12 % of RDI in Riboflavin and Potassium respectively.
- Chocolate milk also rich in very small amounts of selenium, zinc, iodine, vitamin A, B1, B12, B6, and magnesium.
Before directly talking about is chocolate milk good for you or not, let’s understand some benefits of it.
Benefits of Chocolate Milk consumption
A) Less Sugar Less Caffeine
Interestingly, it contains no more sugar (C12H22O11) than a glass of unsweetened fruit juice. It also contains no more caffeine than a cup of decaffeinated drink or coffee.
B) Control Blood Pressure
Chocolate milk is highly responsible for keeping our blood pressure under control. As such, it helps in lowering high blood pressure but overconsumption may be harmful to our health.
C) Maintains Blood flow
It is also essential for maintaining the proper flow of blood in our whole body and it gives proper functioning of the heart so that you will feel fresh every time and you can do any hard work with a proper mindset.
D) It Recovers Our Body
Chocolate milk gives helps our body in recovering from intense workouts by satisfying the nutritional needs and it makes our strength to our all body parts and bones.
E) Beneficial for Bones
As you know very well, calcium is present in our bones which gives strength to our bones as well as strong muscles and more calcium in bones means more strength. So it is rich in calcium which is important for our bone health. It reduces the chances of fracture and other bone diseases. It plays a vital role in developing our healthy and strong bones and the absence of which is likely to cause osteoporosis in adults.
F) It Contains Antioxidant Compounds
Chocolate milk contains antioxidant compounds which are also called flavonoids. It also prevents the clotting of blood caused due to internal injuries, thereby facilitating the recovery process, and hence, it avoids infections.
G) It Contains stimulant
It contains a stimulant which is also called theobromine. Theobromine is very essential for lifting the human brain from stress and hypertension.
H) It Keeps Body Hydrated
It keeps the body hydrated for a long period of time, thereby increasing the endurance capacity of the body. As such, it helps a person to do exercise and yoga or work for longer durations.
I) It Contains Glycogen
Glycogen is the fuel in the liver that is important for improving our muscles. Drinking chocolate milk immediately after working out helps in replacing the glycogen lost during physical exertion time.
J) Helps in Losing Weight
Generally, it is known to help with weight loss plans. It assists in making the body slim, smart, flexible, beautiful, and younger than before.
Some Disadvantages of chocolate milk:
- It is a high calories content of high added sugar.
- FAT: It contains relatively high amounts of fat.
- It contains some elements that have addictive properties such as caffeine, theobromine, and sugar in chocolate which results in mood-elevating, and also contains phenethylamine which releases endorphin in the brain system.
- This also contains associative amines that lead to migraine problems.
- It may increase the risk of certain cancer like stomach cancer, prostate cancer, or even lung cancers and heart disease in adults with obesity, obesity in children.
After knowing all things, Should You Take Chocolate Milk?
Now we know about all the good or unhealthy points about chocolate milk and Now a question arises that Should we drink chocolate milk? Yes, you should take this milk in moderation. Consumption of milk is good for health but overconsumption may increase the risk of several diseases or cancer risk. It is a tasty beverage with a health powerhouse of the level of nutrients so don’t worry, it is good for consumption.